POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : subdivision of mesh causes distortion of UV map : Re: subdivision of mesh causes distortion of UV map Server Time
28 Apr 2024 12:56:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: subdivision of mesh causes distortion of UV map
From: Steve Shelby
Date: 6 Nov 2004 18:14:04
Message: <418d5abc$1@news.povray.org>
"Lutz Kretzschmar" <lut### [at] stmuccom> wrote in message
> Yes, there are some issues with the way that UV mapping is propagated
> to the subdivided surface.
> My best solution is to create the mesh with no UV mapping, set the
> subdivision setting to what you want it to be, then press the Convert
> to Mesh button to convert the subdivided mesh to a real mesh. Then
> work with this new real mesh (which is the subdivided version of the
> original mesh) and UV map that. You can keep the original around as a
> hidden, non-exportable object, or you can toss it....

Thanks, Lutz. That's a little trick I was not aware of.
Since I posted the original message, I have kept working on the project, and
have ended up making a mesh which has 3d veins as part of the mesh. I still
had trouble when I tried to UV map the veins with a different texture. The
color would spread out of its boundaries at each intersection. By observing
what happened when the mesh was subdivided, I discovered that by adding very
short faces in each direction from the point of intersection, the texture
would stay within the desired boundaries. I am very pleased with the
results.
BTW, I've been using build 9369, the one you made available on Sept. 30. The
improvements are spectacular! Being able to divide several edges at once
makes it possible to do things that would have been far too tedious to
attempt before. Also, the fact that it highlights irregular faces that
prevent subdivision. Having several hundred faces and not having a clue
which ones were causing the problem was extremely frustrating. Thanks for
fixing that.
Steve Shelby